Happy MAGDRL Adoptees
This site lists dogs affiliated with the New Jersey Region, however other regions also have many dogs. Don't forget to check out the dogs available in the entire MAGDRL organization on the main web site.
Before dogs are available for adoption, they are spayed/neutered and temperament tested. Any medical issues will also be addressed. When you adopt from MAGDRL you will be getting a pet that matches your lifestyle. Beware of "free to good home" ads - you may be getting someone else's "problem child."
To see more information on a dog, click on Our Dogs and you will be taken to the page which list our dogs.
Note - a "courtesy listing" is a listing for a dog that is NOT in MAGDRL's care. We are simply assisting someone else in finding a home for their dog.
The Mid-Atlantic Great Dane Rescue League, Inc. (MAGDRL) adopts to the following states only: MD, DE, Washington DC, VA, WV, NJ, South Central & Eastern PA, and NY. If you live in an area outside of our adoption area, and are interested in adoption you can find additional rescue groups by visiting the Great Dane Club of America‘s website. Because of our home check requirement, we do not adopt out of the areas mentioned above. Please contact your area coordinator if you are interested in adopting.
All of the dogs that come through our rescue program are spayed or neutered and fully vetted before being adopted.
Our adoption fee our $450 for dogs under 6 year of age and $325 for dogs over the age of 6.
To adopt a dog, MAGDRL has a few simple requirements:
- The Dane must be an inside dog and not spend a lot of time outside unsupervised. Why?
- The family should have a fenced in yard (More information on our fencing policy is below). Why?
- All interior stairs in the home must be covered in slip resistant tread
- All animals in the household should be spayed/neutered. Why?
- All animals in the household should see a vet once a year. Why?
- The entire family (plus any current dogs) must be willing to travel to meet the new Dane.
- The entire family must be committed to the care and well-being of the dog.
- Phone Interview
- Written Application – We will mail/email this to you after the phone interview has been completed.
- Reference Checks – All references will be checked prior to home visit. We will contact your current vet, if you have one, for a reference.
- Home Visit – A volunteer will come to your home to visit with you and discuss care of Great Danes. Also, the volunteer will look for any potential problems and check to be sure that your fencing is secure. Your home visit does not mean you have been approved.
- Approval – After the above steps have been completed all your information will be reviewed and a decision will be made about adoption. If at this point you are approved to adopt, your area coordinator will help guide you to the appropriate dog for your family.
- Contract – For the protection of the Great Danes we place, everyone that adopts a Great Dane from MAGDRL will be required to sign an adoption contract. If you would like additional information on our adoption contract you can email your local coordinator and a copy of our contract will be sent to you electronically.
Once approved, we do our best to match the Great Dane to your requirements and vice versa. Depending upon your desires (age, color, sex) and the needs and personality of the Great Dane (how it gets along with children, other dogs, cats, etc.) an adoption can happen quickly or it may take some time.
Note to Child Care Providers
Applicants who operate a childcare business should review their insurance coverage to determine whether Great Danes are excluded. If other breeds are listed under exclusions, you are encouraged to contact your provider to confirm that Great Danes are covered. Proof of coverage for your childcare business must be included with your adoption application.
Our Dogs are our Top Priority
The Dogs in our rescue are our top priority and therefore we will not make any except to our policies lightly or easily. We reserve the right to refuse an applicant.